Tuesday, 14 August 2007

TwitterLit

So I added a Twitter to my VirtualNorth blog to help me think about the potential value of this widget... do people really need to know what others are doing every second of the day? Maybe a reflective tool... or to 'vocalise' questions on my mind...or what about a collaborative tool that a team could use while working on a combined project?

Discovered the TwitterLit which I have added to the sidebar. Posted by Yvonne Andres...
"TwitterLit.com - Twittering the first lines of books so you don't have to! If you are a writer or a book lover, or if you are trying to inspire students to become writers and book lovers - you will certainly enjoy TwitterLit.com" What is TwitterLit? - Realising that the opening sentences of books are often an intriguing attention getters, twice a day, TwitterLit creator Debra Hamel, posts the first line of a book, without the author's name or book title. Why? Well, according to Hamel, "Because it's fun and quick daily literary teaser?"

If you are interested in exploring the potential benefits of emerging learning technologies also discovered a series of articles online including...7 Things You Should Know About Twitter..."focuses on a single technology and describes what it is, where it is going, and why it matters to teaching and learning. Use these briefs for a no-jargon, quick overview of a topic and share them with time-pressed colleagues."

Rather than using Debra Hamel's TwitterLit you could set up your own using Twitter. Be interested to read your thoughts or experiences using Twitter or any other technologies with your students.

More about twitter use in education here.


2 comments:

Lynne Crowe said...

Hi Fiona
I was having trouble seeing the value of Twitter a few weeks and wrote so in a blog post to which I recieved a large number of replies (for me anyway). Since then I have added several of my favourite bloggers as followers in Twitter and have managed to write a couple of tweets or twitters myself. The one value I do see with it is that you do get the chance to have a look at blog posts as they are being published and also get some useful links which are posted. It's also a useful way to get a very quick response to any web problem you may have.
So after my initial doubt I am seeing some benefit in hanging in there and following my fellow twits!
Lynne

Fiona Grant said...

Great idea Lynne... using twitter as an aggregator. I have "how to set up an aggregator" on my list of subjects for future posts here as they save a lot of time when you are following a few blogs. Will look at doing this shortly as we build our ICTinEnglish blog roll. However I do have some listed if readers are keen to go ahead and explore...my favourite is NetVibes and I also use Bloglines for keeping my blog roll on Virtual North updated. You can see them listed on
my del.icio.us aggregators