Monday, 27 August 2007

Blogging at Katikati College

Hello, my name is Natalie Cowie and I am the English HOF at Katikati College.
I have had very limited experience with ICT until recently. My first attempts have involved moodle, blogs and wikis. Near the end of May I created two blogs for the English students at Katikati College. The first one is at http://schol.wordpress.com and it is aimed at Year 13 students and the other one is at http://ncowie.wordpress.com and that is for Year 9-13 students. When I started out I had not even read a blog so I wasn't actually sure what I was going to do with them. As time has progressed they have become noticeboards and display areas for the faculty. I do get lots of informal feedback from the students but I would prefer them to use the comment feature on the blogs more.

To get more student interaction we have created 5 wikis at PB wiki and 1 wiki on moodle and we are finding them all worthwhile. We are also using Classblogmeister with several classes and this is also proving interesting.

Our blogs have been added to the ICT in English blogroll and we would love any feedback and suggestions.

3 comments:

Mrs C said...

Hi Natalie

I am really interested in your Yr 11 static image displays - they look fantastic. How have you created this gallery approach to presenting the images? Awesome :)

ncowie said...

Hi Alison
to make the static image gallery I used dumpr which is one of those flickr toys. It is quick and easy to use.

Fiona Grant said...

Agree Alison...Natalie's galleries are effective. Found them here at dumpr ...thanks Natalie.

Using commenting to encourage active participation in a blog can be very effective and will be dependent on the purpose of the blog. I am working with primary teachers who are also new to blogs and while this is a Year 1 class blog they are using commenting to connect with another envio-school who is mentoring their progress. EnviroSchool